Cornyn, Cruz Split on Filibuster; Hou Mayor Poll: Undec. 48, Parker 36, Hall 13
POLITICO ON MCCONNELL & CORNYN NOT SUPPORTING CRUZ FILIBUSTER
Politico’s Burgess Everett reports:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell will not join an effort in the Senate to block a House-passed spending bill that defunds Obamacare, a spokesman for McConnell said Monday.
“Sen. McConnell supports the House Republicans’ bill and will not vote to block it, since it defunds Obamacare and funds the government without increasing spending by a penny. He will also vote against any amendment that attempts to add Obamacare funding back into the House Republicans’ bill,” said Don Stewart, a spokesman for the Republican senator.
The statement represents a divergence from the approach favored by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), who want Republicans to oppose a procedural vote on the House bill before Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) plans to strip out the Obamacare defunding provision by a majority vote.
“If and when the majority leader goes down that path, Washington Democrats will have to decide — without hiding behind a procedural vote — whether or not to split with their leadership and join Republicans and their constituents in opposing the re-insertion of Obamacare funding into the House-passed bill,” Stewart added.
A spokeswoman for McConnell’s top lieutenant, Minority Whip John Cornyn of Texas, said that Cornyn too will break with Cruz and Lee.
“Sen. Cornyn will not block a bill that defunds Obamacare,” the spokeswoman said.
Wash Post’s Paul Kane reports on Sen Cruz’s willingness to be an ‘outlier’ in the U.S. Senate defunding fight.
Sen. Cruz appeared on Fox News’ “Hannity” last night.
Sen. Cruz penned an op ed for Real Clear Politics on his ‘path to victory’ on defunding Obamacare.
Roll Call reports on the tension between Sen. Cruz’s role as NRSC vice chair (grassroots) and his conservative place within the party.KUHF / KHOU POLL SHOWS PARKER AHEAD, BUT HIGH UNDECIDEDSA poll released by KUHF / KHOU shows Houston Mayor Annise Parker leading challenger Ben Hall by a margin of 36.1-13.6, but 48 nearly percent remain undecided.
The Chron reports on the poll.
– TM’s Paul Burka sees warning signs for Speaker Joe Straus (R-San Antonio) on the path to reelection as Speaker in the retirement of State Rep. Bill Calegari (R-Katy).
– Xerox signed a $100 million deal to manage TxDOT’s toll roads.
2013 / 2014 / 2016:
– TT’s Julian Aguilar reports on a likely ‘epic political rematch’ between state Rep. Naomi Gonzales (D-El Paso) and Norma Chavez in the Democratic primary.
– Will his widow succeed the late Harris County DA Mike Anderson?
– Don’t worry, the Earth should last another 1.75 billion years.
– $649 Gold iPhone a steal at $10,000.
– I guess I can reclaim my Pittsburgh Pirates, who are returning to the MLB Playoffs for the first time since Sid Bream was inaccurately called out at home plate in 1992.
– Did zero people watch Sunday’s Houston Astros game? The ratings say: yes.
Your Daily Source of Inspiration:
– A wrestling match that will make you cry and feel good all day.
DMN ($): Born in Canada, Ted Cruz became a citizen of that country, as well as U.S. (8/19/13 1:43am) – See more at:http://www.mustreadtexas.com/#
BLOGS (from the left)
BLOGS (from the right)